Seven square miles, peninsula’d in by bay and sea, where for centuries outcasts and dreamers have come looking to reinvent themselves.
Things to do in San Francisco to get the real thing in the city.
- Wake up to the buttery aroma of Tartine Bakery’s cultishly delicious sourdough and morning buns.
- Spend a few hours at City Lights in North Beach, the bookshop hero for poets and politics with pre-Beats heritage.
- Drive Highway 1 through Muir Woods to Point Reyes, stopping for a roadside oysters pulled from Tomales Bay.
- Order SF’s most famous dish, the oven roasted chicken from Zuni Cafe, carved over mustard greens and bread salad.
- See the city and the stars from across the Golden Gate, where
Marin Headlands and Hawk Hill meet.
"Ahead of us the fabulous white city of San Francisco on her eleven mystic hills with the blue Pacific and its advancing wall of potato-patch fog beyond, and smoke and goldenness in the late afternoon of time."
- JACK KEROUAC