At the heart of San Antonio is its central river, a crystal-clear lifeline where new museums and hotels share shores with missions nearly 300 years old.
Things to do in San Antonio to get the real thing in the city.
- Rent bikes at the Blue Star Arts and head south to see the UNESCO-honored Mission Trail
- Start at long-bar Esquire Tavern, then walk the river for candlelit mescal at Hotel Havana
- Drive out to tin-barn Quihi Dancehall, circa 1890, for a two-steppin’ Saturday night
- Sleep in at Hotel Emma, an all-star hotel reimagined inside an old brewhouse
- See Santiago Jimenez’s conjunto jams on Sunday mornings at Carnitas Uruapan
“On a more enchanting spot the eye of a poet never rested. There is probably nothing like it in America.”
- HARPER'S MAGAZINE, 1877