Preserved by salt air and a spirit of independent thinking, few places in America play the inspirational muse quite like New England.
Things to do in New England to get the real thing.
- Visit Nunan’s Lobster Hut in Kennebunkport for a split-top roll swollen with fresh lobster meat
- Drive the Old King’s Highway 6A in Cape Cod, from Sandwich to Provincetown
- In summer, enjoy the Newport Folk Festival from the bow of an anchored sailboat
- Town-hop the Berkshires, from MASS MoCA in North Adams to Walden hikes in Williamstown
- Vermont’s Route 7 in the Champlain Valley for autumn views and apple orchards
"For anyone who lives in the oak-and-maple area of New England, there is a perennial temptation to plunge into a purple sea of adjectives about October."
- HAL BORLAND