America’s favorite comeback city, Detroit’s engine of ideas and ingenuity mingles among historic neighborhoods, corner bars and incomparable street art.
Things to do in Detroit to get the real thing in the city.
- Hit farmer stalls on Saturday at Eastern Market, then Rose’s Fine Food late breakfast
- Take plenty of time to study Diego Rivera’s Ford factory murals at the Institute of Arts
- On Belle Isle, see the Monticello-esque glass conservatory with roses rescued during WWII
- Catch piano showmen at Baker’s Keyboard Lounge, world’s oldest jazz club they say
- Compare tasting notes at rival (and next-door) coney spots, Lafayette and American
"Detroit turned out to be heaven, but it also turned out to be hell."
- MARVIN GAYE