Rainbow homes and jasmine walls, surreys clopping through town, creeks bending through marsh: Charleston, the Holy City, casts a heady spell of beauty.
Things to do in Charleston to get the real thing in the city.
- Wander South of Broad for history by osmosis with Tommy Dew’s storytelling stroll
- Buy right from the shrimpers on Shem Creek and make your own lowcountry feast
- Rent a boat and explore Capers Island, where ospreys nest on the driftwood beach
- Meet Jonathan Sanchez at Blue Bicycle Books and get his pick of Pat Conroy novels
- A James Beard progressive day of eats: Hominy Grill, Rodney Scott’s BBQ and FIG
"There is no city on Earth quite like Charleston. Wandering through its streets can be dreamlike and otherworldly, its alleyways and shortcuts both fragrant and mysterious, yet as haunted as time turned in on itself."
- PAT CONROY