Blue dot in a big red state, Austin prides itself on the offbeat, the wide-open, where barefoot and boots easily dance together. And the barbecue: It is the Truth.
Things to do in Austin to get the real thing in the city.
- Stand in line (BYOB) for slow-smoked brisket at Franklin, La Barbecue or Micklethwait
- Take the Wildsam-approved morning jog & dip around Lady Bird Lake and Barton Springs
- Check out the live music scene at Sam’s Town Point and the Continental Club
- Channel your cowpoke at Callahan’s Ranch Supply, seller of Stetsons and baby goats
- Pony up to dives like Deep Eddy Cabaret (jukebox) and Nickel City (pool table)