Wrought with lush landscapes and brutal histories, the South is a beautiful, crooked road with a complex pull on the American imagination.
Things to do in the South to get the real thing.
- Drive Highway 17 from Charleston to Savannah, stopping at Edisto, Beaufort and Bluffton
- Eat tamales and a T-bone at Doe’s in Greenville, MS, then a blues show at Red’s in Clarksdale
- Read MLK’s Letter from a Birmingham Jail sitting on the front steps of the 16th Street Baptist Church
- Raise a glass in Bardstown, KY, at the Old Talbot Inn, the world’s oldest bourbon bar
- Meet Carolina BBQ royalty at Ayden, NC’s Skylight Inn, and order chopped pork, slaw and cornbread
"I discovered that my own little postage stamp of native soil was worth writing about and that I would never live long enough to exhaust it."
- WILLIAM FAULKNER